At the potluck I hosted this week, blogger Catherine made a Spanish Macaroni and Cheese. I was inspired by her dish to make something cheesy at home. I came up with this Spaghetti Squash Macaroni and Cheese. It is not exactly like macaroni and cheese but a healthy, quick substitute. The creaminess reminds me of a risotto. Nice for a dinner when you are dining alone. A weekday supper.
Here is my recipe for Spaghetti Squash Macaroni and Cheese(1 serving or 2 appetizer servings)
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of butter
Half a spaghetti squash
2 tablespoons of flour
Milk as desired
1/2 a cup of grated Cheese(I used Beecher’s Flagship and Parmesano Reggiano)
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1. Place squash cut side up in a microwave dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for 10 to 12 minutes, depending on size of squash. Cook more if necessary and comb out strands.
2. In a saucepan, saute the garlic in butter.
3. Add spaghetti squash, 2 tablespoons of milk and 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir.
4. Add Cheese and mix until you get the consistency that you like. Add more cheese
5. Chop chives and mix in. Season with salt and pepper.
To decorate the plate(only if you want to feel like you are in a restaurant). I used olive oil with chives in the food processor. I placed it in a squeeze